I am behind on my blogging so please forgive me.
On April 28, 2018, I volunteered at the 10th annual Dylan’s Dragon Walk. It is a remembrance walk to honor children who have passed away due to a congenital heart defect. It is hosted by Help-a-Heart the non-profit that I am a part of. One of the founders of Help-a-heart lost her son Dylan at the age of three to a congenital heart defect. This walk was started in remembrance of him.
This was my first time attending this walk and I didn’t know what to expect going in. I was surprised by how many families showed up. My heart hurt for these families who had been affected by such a tragedy of losing a child. Even though it was an event for a sad reason I loved seeing these families come together in solidarity and support of one another. They celebrated the lives of these little heroes and the effect that those lives had on their own life. It was a beautiful thing to witness. I was honored to volunteer and be a part of such an important event.
As I left that day I was reminded of a few things:
1) All our days are numbered and that we shouldn’t take any of them for granted.
2) To be grateful for my loved ones. I made sure to give all the kiddos in my life an extra hug the next time I saw them.
3) It reminded me to pray for friends of ours who are soon to be first-time parents. I prayed their little one would be born happy and healthy.
4) I prayed for the families who have lost a child that God would comfort them and provide support for them as they walk through the phases of grief.
5) Lastly, I thanked God I was lucky enough to live with my CHD and for all He has brought me and my family through.
Give your loved ones a hug tonight. Count your blessings. Pray for those who are hurting.